Holy Cow!

Lynne's Journey to India

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Bus Ride to Jaisalmer

We just arrived in Jaisalmer. The bus ride took ten hours, leaving over an hour late at almost midnight. Boarding was chaotic, again there were more passengers than seats available. An older woman reluctantly gave up her seats to the Swiss couple that now sit ahead of us. She was kicking and screaming in Hindi all the way to the front compartment with the drivers where she remained seated on the floor for the duration of the trip.

The ride was bumpy and breezy as the windows did not seal and left a freezing air stream on my head all night long. Luckily, I purchased a blanket for the trip right before we left or it could have been much worse. I wrapped myself head to foot and curled up in my seat, switching positions every couple of hours between laps of dreaming sleep.

When the bus first started moving I thought there was no way I was going to be able to sleep tonight, but I used a technique Daniel taught me called Yodi Mudra and before I knew it I was out like a light. (I will post it later for all of you to try too on sleepness nights.) We made three stops along the way at 2, 4 and 6am, at tiny desert villages where chai and treats were being served. Sounds delightful but I think I am just getting used to the life here in India.

We found a hotel right away, one recommended by an Italian man who Lara befriended with a "Ciao!". He comes to Pushkar each year from Milan and knows many hotels and restaurants and shares his information with a "no problemo!". We are now sitting on a rooftop about to have breakfast; tomato & cheese omelet on toast with beans and fries. I have become very fond of lemon ginger tea. Not a premade tea bag, but actual gratings of ginger and lemon with a bit of sugar and a black tea bag. Magnifico! We are very close, about 125km, to the Pakistan border, and the military presence here is more obvious than any city so far. We are planning to take camels out into the desert for a few hours tomorrow and then a bus back to Pushkar for a kite festival on the 14th. We are booked on a government bus by recommendation from the hotel owners for our trip back. They say there will not be any stops for locals on this type of bus, but, like I have heard many times since I arrived: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IN INDIA! Ciao! Lynne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home