Holy Cow!

Lynne's Journey to India

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Day #4







It feels like I've been here a month with all I've taken in. I think my nervous system is still adjusting to the change in time. Remember that when it is 4pm where you guys are, it's the next day here and 4 am. The body needs time to adjust.

Yesterday I was sick. Yes, I tried really hard to not be sick but it just happens. So I spent my third day in bed. Today feeling a lot better and ready to move forward on my journey.

So, yesterday was an amazing day. We started with breakfast at the Sikh temple. We left our shoes at the front to a man standing at our face level in exchange for a ticket. We walked barefoot to a place where we covered our heads with cloth, we were given a silver plate and cup and sat back to back with others there for breakfast. Volunteers passed us offering lentils, rice and bread. It seems that people eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I noticed everyone looking at me and Daniel, intrigued I suppose with our light skin and strange clothing. After we ate we walked to the temple where we took fabric, mine bright orange linen, that I wrapped around my head in respect to the Gods. Inside live music and praying. Our tour guide, Singh, took us to the kitchen to see the food being made by more volunteers. He told us if too many worshippers came at once there was a machine that can make 20,000 chapatis an hour. But today they were being made by hand. Back outside we were shown a spring where the water was blessed by the 8th guru of the Sikh lineage and people stood in line to receive it. On the way out we were given prashad, a food or sweet blessed by a Sikh holy man. We got our shoes back and Singh told me I could keep my cloth from the temple. My first holy souvenir.

Afterwards we we off to tour the unbelievable city of Delhi! We saw the parliament buildings, had our pictures taken with a cobra and his flute-playing charmer, India Gate, Hamuyan tomb and our favorite place, Qutb Minar, 12c Muslim with beautiful Afghan architecture adorned with Islamic scriptures. The 73 meter high tower has been struck by lightning twice! The energy in its ancient spaces was nice. Daniel and I sat inside a small opening and meditated. We didn't want to leave.

Still working on posting pictures here so you can see the real thing. hopefully soon!
Prem & Shanti!
Lynne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home