Holy Cow!

Lynne's Journey to India

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I Reach Amritapuri - Kerala, India

Fearlessness, indeed, is the one of the greatest qualities of a true lover. True love is the state of complete fearlessness. Amma

Well, I am now at Amma's ashram, a place I have wanted to visit since I first found out about her and her work. We arrived via car last night after dark and it was hard to see the beauty that surrounds us now. We are on the Arabian Sea. When I looked out this morning from our eleventh floor balcony once the sun had come up, I saw the palm trees and the waterway that surround this ashram, called Amritapuri. You can read more about Amma on her website at: http://www.amma.org/

This morning at 5 am I attended a one hour session called Archana, which means chanting the 1000 names of the Holy Mother. The women and men were separate and I sat on the floor facing the altar amongst maybe 100-150 others. I didn't have a chant book yet (didn't know I would need it), so the woman next to me gave me hers. I tried to keep up as Amma's voice, a recording, chanted out in Hindi the one thousand names. It was very fast and beautiful but, after about 10 names, I put the book down and just listened. I am pretty good at reading and pronouncing other languages but the names went by so quickly and the next name began while the attendees repeated the one before that I felt completely lost. I felt it was better for today to just close my eyes and take it all in. Sometimes we need to just do that, nothing else. A happy song followed the chanting and then it was 6am.

Outside the temple they gave tea and people sat around chatting as the sun came up. I met a wonderful woman named Doris from Germany. She had been here many years ago when Amma had only a small following and a hut. Now there are people from all over the world and Amma travels extensively. I believe Amma has just returned from one journey, is here for a few weeks and then goes on a world tour, which Doris may be taking with her. I guess if you pay around $2500 you can join her on her tour. Doris is traveling alone for one year and wants to go next with Amma to Australia. We are very lucky to be here when Amma is present and today she will give Darshan, her blessings, which are received and given with a hug. I will let you all know how things are going here when I can but this is my time for peace. So no worries if you don't hear from me for a bit.
Love & Blessings from me and Amma!
Lynne

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Each destination of Kerala is perfect for the tourist and honeymoon couple. You can visit this place from https://www.keralatourssale.com/kerala-honeymoon-tour-packages-visakhapatnam here. The place is giving you an exciting time spend with the nature and beauty.

Wed May 30, 05:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home