Holy Cow!

Lynne's Journey to India

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Parmarth Ashram & Marketplace

Namaste friend and family. I have been taking numerous photos with my new camera I purchased in Gujarat. This is the walkway we took on our 6am morning hikes up the mountain and back guided by Swamiji Chitananda. The walkway turns to dirt and there is an actual road that also winds around the mountain. It is very challenging but many people attended. The air was crisp and watching the sunrise from the mountain peak was breathtaking.

To the left of the stairway is the three level building in which some classes were taking place during the International Yoga Festival I attended. Bottom level was where I attended Iyengar yoga classes with a wonderful teacher and 30 year student of Iyengar himself, Bijoo Mehta. I have never even taken one Iyengar class but took five 2.5 hour classes with him because I was so impressed with his teaching and kindness and knowledge. His wife was there as his assistant. He is actually a full-time engineer.

The third picture is the tent where Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa held her daily Kundalini course, plus many lectures took place here as well. Those of you that have heard me speak of her know that I have the highest regard for her classes. I got a chance to fly like a bird way up high in the sky while she played very ethereal music after having us move our arms for 33 minutes in one Kundalini pose. Remember I wished I could fly at Om beach while watching the birds one day. I had that chance here this day.

As one friend commented when I said, "Oh look, another Shiva statue," she said, "You are in Shiva land!" This statue is in the middle of the walkway when you go towards the Ganga from the ashram. I know it isn't very clear but the picture still shows the dramatic lighting they have all around the ashram at night on all of the beautiful statues.


Next I had another chance to photograph Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. He joined the resident Swami for Satsang (Q's and A's) one evening and he looked right at me as I shot this photo. He is one of several selfless teachers I have had the opportunity to listen to and speak with while attending the festival.

Ah, the mountains. The mountains are one of the most spiritual places for me. Whenever I go to Colorado I feel so at home, so close to God. Here, at the foothills of the Himalayas, it is even more intense. They seem so elusive and I haven't had a chance as of yet to actually hike very far. When I finish my 10 day silent meditation in Dehradun I think I may take a guided hike. The air is very clean here unlike many of the bigger cities I have visited. This view is from the walkway within the ashram and they seem to be peaking in all directions.

The marketplace that sits on the Ganga river next to the Ashram is full of life and unique photo opportuities. Many students go here to use the internet, 20 rupees per hour, or buy books and music, or have some western style food.

The old man sitting here reading is a holy man and he is reading some holy scriptures. He was not asking for money, just simply reading. Every day I went to the market and he was there, immersed in the words of God.


This is one of my favorite pictures of the whole trip. A man is showing a lady something he is trying to sell while her friend waits and curiously notices me photographing them.



If you keep walking away from the ashram you eventually reach a bridge which takes you to the downtown marketplace, much larger and busier with many ashrams and restaurants. From the bridge you can see the ghats, steps, of Parmarth Ashram where I stayed. This is a beautiful and sacred space where many rituals take place as well as folks bathing in the holy water of the Ganga to purify the soul.

Each day we had biscuits, fruit, toast and tea served under this tent area at 7am after the 4am Shadana and 6am walk or classes. Brunch came after the 8am til 10:30am morning session and was buffet style. The food was really good but many people including myself suffered from belly aches and other ailments. Dinner was served at 7pm after the fire ritual of Aarti.

Here the boys are lighting the shiva lamps that you see my roommate and I holding in the "Friends" posting. After they are lit they are passed around for people to hold and pray.

Inside one of the classrooms during an Iyengar class we practice Paschimotasana, seated forward fold. Great for hamstrings and I have learned sooo many new ways to open those muscles up, so just wait till I get home!

The boys are always walking in a line when moving throughout the ashram under the instruction of the instructor/swami. They sang while they worked and walked and their voices were also part of the nightly Aarti celebration.

Hope you enjoy these - please feel free to comment with any questions.

Love & Peace to you!
Lynne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home