Holy Cow!

Lynne's Journey to India

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Great Ganges River




Wow! I have read many books and heard so many songs written about the power of the Ganges river. But to be here now, in Rishikesh, to see it flow with the Himalayan mountains peaking in her background, and to sing and pray at her edge has been an experience I never could have imagined. I have taken many pictures of her fluid beauty, especially containing the enormous Shiva statue behind the ashram. I really didn't want to leave the ashram to come back to the world of cyber magic but wanted everyone to hear about this place while I was still here.




I have been involved with numerous healing ceremonies on the edge of the river. Every evening there is an Artii, a daily thanksgiving as fire is lit at her edge we give light back to God and show thanks for another day of sunshine. There is beautiful live music, today from South America. A wooden flute and tablas created an amazing background for devotional chanting, clapping, praise to the holy river. We had a special guest join us tonight for the Artii. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar appeared as if out of nowhere with Swamiji and as he arrived at the ceremony everyone stood up with a gasp. He was just on television celebrating 25 years for the Art of Living Association(http://www.artofliving.org/) that he took over after the revered creator passed on. He is very famous here in India and a powerful singer, as is our Swamiji Chitanand Saraswati here at Parmarth Niketan (http://www.parmarth.com/).

I will write more when I get a chance but please take a look at the ashram website and read about Rishikesh on the internet. I have taken a lot of pics that I will post next time I get on the computer. But for now, back to floating in bliss at the edge of the beautiful Ganga-ji!
Namaste. Lynne

Pictures:
I've added some pics now that I can.



I am seen here with Dr. David Frawley, one of the most important scholars of Ayurveda and Vedic Science today. He autographed his book for me, Yoga and Ayurveda (http://www.vedanet.com/Biography.htm). He is an incredible speaker and a very kind soul. The Ganges river is in three of the other photos.


The huge statue of Shiva has to be three stories high and looks so beautiful as the sun sets. The sun setting on the Ganga is a powerful experience, especially when there are 300 people singing holy and sacred chants!


Whew! I couldn't get a really good of picture Sri Sri Ravi Shankar but here is one not so good.

The young boys, ranging in ages from 4 or 5 and up to their teens, are trained here by Swamiji and the other Holy residents. Everyone enjoys hearing them sing and play music. They have also been trained in yoga and have done demonstrations for the large audiences. We all got up at 6am to walk with swami and boys up a mountain to a temple and back as the sun came up. And one more Holy-Cow for ya! I loved her head ornament!
Enjoy! Lynne





3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Namaste, Lyn! I've been reading with interest from Central Florida your blogs about India. We're having the first Western disciple of the modern saint, Neem Koroli Baln, facilitating a Kintar/concert on March 19th. He has braided in his hair water from the Ganges(although one of the ladies I've met from England claims the Ganges water is quite dirty). Looking forward to seeing you in June when I return to Bemidji from Mount Dora. Barb Lahr

Mon Mar 06, 06:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Lyn, the disciple is Bhagavan Das.

Mon Mar 06, 06:30:00 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Hi Barb, Kirtan is one of my favorite things in the world. Singing sacred chants seem to touch a place deep inside we may not even know is there or what it feels like. I am surrounded by many saints right now in this ashram and it has been quite an experience. One thing I have learned though is that they are just human and we should not put them on pedastals, a habit I myself have struggled to overcome. If you get the chance, be with this person and just experience being in the presence of a true saint. You never know what could come from it!

Love & Peace from India

~Lynne

Tue Mar 21, 10:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home